Tuition fee increase proposal under deliberation

The proposal for a tuition fee increase for academic year (AY) 2019-2020 is underway as the multi-sectoral committee will conduct a consultation meeting on February 28 regarding the details for the proposed increase, as per Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administrative Services (VCFAS) Deodoro Abiog II, CPA.

The first multi-sectoral meeting comprising of admin representatives, college student councils, and the University Student Council was held on February 13. The basis for another tuition fee includes the inflation rate in the country, improvement in facilities for student use, and upgrading of equipment for the furtherance of competitiveness in the various programs being offered, as per Abiog, as inflation rate in the Philippines hit a 10-month low of 4.4% this February.

Regarding the allocation for the proposed increase, Abiog stated that the administration will continue to follow CHEd Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 3 series of 2012, wherein 70% of the incremental income will proceed to the salaries and benefits of the employees while the remaining 30% will be used for the added operating expenses of the university.

As of press time, the percentage increase and the incremental proceeds are still under deliberation. The deadline for the submission of the proposal to CHEd is March 21 of this year.

TF increase in previous AYs

There has been a continuous increase in tuition fee for the past AYs from AY 2015-2016 up to the present, as per data from the Accounting Office.

The average percentage increase in tuition fee for the AY 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018 is 3.04%, 2.48%, and 5%, respectively; with the highest increase per year level being constantly attributed to the incoming freshmen.

Meanwhile the highest percentage increase in terms of program offering during AY 2015-2016 is Associate in Computer Science with 3.085% while the lowest is BS Business Administration having 3.032%.

On the other hand, the lowest tuition fee increase in the program offerings during the AY 2016-2017 is BS in Office Administration having 2.48 %.

Post a Comment